The National Breast Cancer Coalition is hiring a Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs. See below.
Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs
In 2010, the National Breast Cancer Coalition (NBCC), a grassroots advocacy organization, launched Breast Cancer Deadline 2020®, with a goal of knowing how to end breast cancer by January 1, 2020. NBCC’s blueprint for Breast Cancer Deadline 2020® is a strategic plan of action for knowing how to prevent the development and spread of breast cancer. Since 1991, NBCC has been at the vanguard of the breast cancer movement – elevating breast cancer to an issue of national significance, leveraging billions of federal dollars for research and care, and empowering tens of thousands of breast cancer survivors to become effective advocates for themselves, and for all those at risk of breast cancer.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
As NBCC approaches its critical Breast Cancer Deadline 2020, the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs will work with leaders across the organization and movement to ensure NBCC achieves its goal of knowing how to end breast cancer. In partnership with the President, the VP Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs will play a leading role in planning for the deadline and designing NBCC’s strategy to end breast cancer long-term. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is passionate about ending breast cancer to help shape the vision, strategy, and external presence of a premier national breast cancer movement. The VP of Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs’ role will be national in scope, and s/he will be a primary liaison and spokesperson to external constituents and coalition members. The VP of Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs will also manage relationships that impact the organization’s mission and future impact goals across a range of initiatives including the DoD Breast Cancer Research Program and the Artemis Project. Reporting directly to the President, the VP of Strategic Initiatives and External Affairs will be a critical member of the NBCC senior leadership team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In partnership with the President and COO-Chief of Staff, develop and refine the organization’s strategic plan, focusing on NBCC’s work with external audiences, ensuring these voices are reflected in the organization’s vision and strategy
- Cultivate strong relationships with relevant subject matter experts (e.g.: policy makers, leading scientists, healthcare executives, etc.) and movement leaders to understand their interests and incorporate them into NBCC’s national strategy to end breast cancer
- Work with colleagues across the organization to understand and develop NBCC’s key positions and priorities; communicate key messages about these priorities and positions externally
- Actively participate in important local and national conversations about breast cancer, serving as a representative of NBCC
- In partnership with the President, contribute to federal, state, and local advocacy efforts on behalf of NBCC
- As a member of the senior leadership team, and external voice for the organization, participate in meetings with key donors and support the organization’s development efforts as appropriate
CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS: The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A deep personal connection to NBCC’s mission and the ability to authentically represent that mission to external stakeholders
- Minimum of 10 years in a senior organizational leadership position in any sector or field, with proven leadership skills with the ability to attract, develop, and inspire others
- Demonstrated success serving as a leading voice for an issue, with the ability to effectively advocate for NBCC across a spectrum of platforms and forums
- Experience navigating a complex political landscape and developing relationships with key stakeholders, with the ability to build alliances and partnerships with community organizations, policy makers, funders, and other stakeholders
- Cultural competence, with experience working with and conducting outreach to diverse communities
- Excellent critical thinking skills, with the ability to set long-terms goals and strategies, and then translate those strategies into effective actions
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Desire and capacity to work autonomously, as well as take direction as needed
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and a collaborative roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
LOCATION: Washington, DC
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1119
NBCC is an equal opportunity employer that especially welcomes applications from breast cancer survivors, women, and people of color. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.