To educate local, state and national legislators and the public about all aspects of this devastating disease: the importance of early detection, lifestyle changes, treatment and research;
To advocate at the state and national levels for increased breast cancer research funding, health care reform and breast cancer legislation that will be of benefit to all; and
To serve as Georgia’s VOICE to END Breast Cancer!
- GABCC has worked tirelessly to eradicate breast cancer throughout its storied history.
- We advocate in the Georgia General Assembly to ensure funds continue to be appropriated for breast cancer research and treatment.
- We partner with other organizations and coalitions to protect insurance provisions for breast cancer patients and hold our legislators accountable.
- We sponsor advocacy workshops to arm citizen advocates with essential tools to impact breast cancer-focused legislative and public policy issues at the state and national levels.
- GABCC hosts targeted education workshops statewide to teach women about breast health, common myths and misconceptions about the disease and warning signs.
- We maintain an Advocacy Alert Network to respond quickly to legislative issues that impact access to medical treatment for those diagnosed with breast cancer and research funding for a cure.
- Each year, we bring together a group of Georgians to visit Capitol Hill and discuss with Georgia’s Congressman the importance of legislation that impact breast cancer patients.
For nearly 20 years, GABCC has been a leader in state and national legislative advocacy efforts. Founded in January 1994, by three breast cancer survivors, GABCC has worked tirelessly to eradicate breast cancer, advocating in the Georgia General Assembly to ensure funds were, and continue to be appropriated for breast cancer research and treatment. GABCC has also sponsored countless advocacy workshops and educational forums to empower more than 7,500 citizen advocates throughout Georgia to join the fight against this devastating disease!
- In 1994, GABCC was instrumental in funds becoming available through BreasTest & More, a program funding breast and cervical cancer screenings under Medicaid in Georgia.
- GABCC advocated in the Georgia General Assembly to ensure funds were appropriated for the Georgia Women’s Health Medicaid Program, providing treatment for underinsured and uninsured women diagnosed with breast and cervical cancer. During the 2012, Legislative session this program was in danger due to a deep budget cuts. GABCC quickly responded and mobilized its Advocacy Alert Network. The budget passed, including Grant-in-Aid for our county health departments where the program is housed.
- GABCC supported the Georgia Tax-Check-Off Bill, funding breast cancer research. More than $1 million has been contributed.
- In 1999, GABCC advocated to enact a bill that gave the decision regarding length of hospital stay following a mastectomy or lymph node dissection to the doctor in consultation with the patient.
- GABCC collaborated with other breast cancer groups to enact Georgia’s breast cancer license plate, which funds the Indigent Care Trust Fund.
- GABCC has empowered more than 7,500 citizen advocates throughout Georgia to join the fight against this devastating disease!
Our current 990 financial statements are available upon request. To receive a copy, please contact our office by calling 404.633.6499 or email us.